The Baxter Hall is located opposite The Laurels Inn; featuring first rate facilities including a large hall; kitchen with servery; bar area; a sizable stage; skittles equipment; and modern toilet facilities. The hall caters for a wide variety of events from art classes to hosting the local skittles league; from the village history meetings to table top sales. The Baxter Hall is undoubtedly the social hub of Petrockstowe.
The Baxter Hall is an ideal venue for a variety of events, and is available for hire at competitive rates. For bookings and more information, contact the Baxter Hall bookings officer.
The site on which The Baxter Hall stands is where the old village school used to be before it was demolished. The school used to be the place in the village where many social gatherings would take place.
In 1952 Petrockstowe had its first village hall. The building consisted of three different sections which were connected through interlinking doors. One of the sections had once been quarters for the Polish Naval Personnel stationed in Okehampton.
Then, in 1976, Ethel Baxter left over £35,000 to the village, requesting it to be spent on a permanent, purpose-built hall for the village. The hall was opened in August 1978 by Lord Clinton; it was decided that the hall was to be named The Baxter Hall after Ethel Baxter who made the construction possible.
After twenty years of service, in 1998 it was decided that the hall required extensive refurbishment. The committee received a grant from the National Lottery; this was spent on laying new flooring, replacing the roof, painting the inside and out, improving the insulation, and the purchase of new furniture. In 2010 a small office was added to the hall.